RYA Day Skipper Course From: €990,00
The RYA Day Skipper course with ionianMode in Greece is best suited for those who want to develop their dexterity, know-how, and knowledge of sail
The RYA Day Skipper practical course is ideal for those who want to improve their skills, expand their knowledge, and gain experience to be able to skipper a yacht safely with confidence in familiar waters by day. At the end of this course, you will be able to skipper a yacht in short passages. This course is more intense than the Competent Crew course as we will go deeper into all of the aspects of the Day Skipper theory and we will transfer everything you learned on the theory course into practice. We will work on yacht handling techniques under sail and power and we will develop together your skippering skills. During the week you will prepare passage plans, you will navigate, you will organise a night sail and you will be in charge at times to gain experience as a skipper.
The Weekly Schedule
- The tuition yachts are ready for accommodation by Sunday midday.
- On day one you will join the yacht and you will meet the rest of the crew and your instructor. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed and briefed by your instructor about the basics regards the yacht and the surroundings. Once everyone has arrived we will have the chance to discuss the course and the plan for the week.
- On Sunday afternoon the Day Skipper and the Coastal skipper candidates will have the chance to revise the theory and the competent crew candidates to familiarise themselves with the yacht and her equipment.
- The course starts on Monday morning from our base in Lefkas (Sivota Bay) and finishes on Friday afternoon. We have a fun morning on Saturday and around noon we return to our base.
- During your training, you will sail a minimum distance of 100NM around the islands of the Ionian and you will visit the most interesting and beautiful ports of the area.
- On our daily routine, we will have lunch and swim stops in one of the most idyllic bays of the Ionian islands and we will spend the night in a different destination at a time, where you will have the chance to explore the local culture and cuisine of Lefkada, Kefalonia, and Ithaca.
- The yachts for Private Tuition are ready for accommodation by Sunday midday, the course starts on Monday and finishes on Saturday at noon back in our base.
- By Sunday 09.00 we will have to leave the yachts for our base crew to get them ready for the next group.
About the Certificate
The RYA Day Skipper certificate is the minimum accepted certificate by most authorities worldwide to charter a yacht. In addition, the holders of an RYA Day Skipper certificate can apply to the RYA for an ICC ( International Certificate of Competence ) which is an internationally recognized qualification.
The participants of the RYA Skipper practical course are expected to have the required level of theory knowledge ( Day Skipper theory level ). This 6-day practical course includes lots of navigation, chart work, and sailing and therefore there is not enough time for the instructor to teach theory from scratch. Your instructor though will coach and guide you to fill any gaps you have in theory and navigation.
|5 days training + 1 extra day on board
|Minimum Recommended Age
|Students – Instructor Ratio
|After the Course Experience
( upon succesful completion )
|RYA Day Skipper Certificate
|Price for individuals *
* Plus 50% for single cabin use
** Plus 290€ for the RYA Day Skipper Online Theory Course
|Price for private tuition **
* RYA Day Skipper Online Theory Course 290€ / Student
INDIVIDUALS Join our tuition yacht together with other students and learn how to sail in the Ionian combing training with holidays. You will share the yacht with maximum another 4 students plus the instructor . Provisions for breakfast and lunch as well all the expenses of the yacht are included in the price. Accommodation may be shared and saloon berths may be used.
PRIVATE TUITION For small groups of friends and families who want to learn how to sail together the option of a private tuition is ideal as you won’t share the yacht with someone else except your instructor. Charter a coded vessel from our fleet considering a cabin for your instructor and combine training with holidays. (fuel, provisions, the cost of the instructor’s meals and mooring fees are not included in the price)
Training by certified & experienced RYA instructors
RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Handbook
Provisions for breakfast, snacks and lunch on board
Fuel, gas, water
Bed linen & towels
Available course material
- WiFi unlimited internet (speed depending on mobile signal quality)
What’s not included
Cost of drinks & meals ashore
Cost of transfers and flights to/from our base
- Ideal for those who want to become skippers
- Improve skills, gain experience, expand knowledge
- Day Skipper certificate holders can apply for an ICC
- Students – instructor ratio 5:1
- Minimum of 100 N.M
- Minimum of 6 Ionian destinations
- 4 hours night sail
- Crystal clear water anchorages
- Local cuisine & culture
- Combine training with holidays
- You will need to bring a passport sized photo