Beginner to RYA Day Skipper Course From: €2.290,00
This two-week Beginner to RYA Day Skipper course is best suited for those who want to start with no experience and reach skipper-level skills and Certification
The Beginner to RYA Day Skipper course practical and theory with ionianMode in Greece is ideal for those who want to build skills and gain knowledge and experience to be able to skipper a yacht safely with confidence in familiar waters by day. At the end of this 2 week course you will be able to skipper a yacht in short passages and operate a short-range VHF radio with DSC. This course includes the online RYA Day Skipper theory course – around 40 hours online and the back-to-back RYA Competent Crew and RYA Day Skipper practical. We will work on yacht handling techniques under sail and power and we will develop together your skippering skills. During the second week, you will prepare passage plans, you will navigate, will organize a night sail and you will be in charge at times to gain experience as a skipper.
The Weekly Schedule
- The tuition yachts are ready for accommodation by Sunday midday.
- On day one you will join the yacht and you will meet the rest of the crew and your instructor. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed and briefed by your instructor about the basics regards the yacht and the surroundings. Once everyone has arrived we will have the chance to discuss the course and the plan for the week.
- On Sunday afternoon the Day Skipper candidates will have the chance to revise the theory and the competent crew candidates to familiarise themselves with the yacht and her equipment.
- The Beginner to RYA Day Skipper course starts on Monday morning from our base in Lefkas (Sivota Bay) and finishes on Friday afternoon. We have a fun morning on Saturday and around noon we return to our base. You have a free Sunday on week one and we start again on Monday morning on week two.
- During your training, you will sail a minimum distance of 200NM around the islands of the Ionian and you will visit the most interesting and beautiful ports of the area.
- On our daily routine, we will have lunch and swim stops in some of the most idyllic bays of the Ionian islands and we will spend the night in a different destination at a time, where you will have the chance to explore the local culture and cuisine of Lefkada, Kefalonia, and Ithaca.
- The yachts for Private Tuition are ready for accommodation by Sunday midday, the course starts on Monday and finishes on Saturday noon of week two back in our base.
- The VHF test is taken on Saturday afternoon in our classroom in Sivota
- By Sunday 09.00 we will have to leave the yachts until 16.00 for our base crew to get them ready for the second week
About the Certificate
The RYA Day Skipper certificate is the minimum accepted certificate by most authorities worldwide to charter a yacht. In addition, the holders of an RYA Day Skipper certificate can apply to the RYA for an ICC ( International Certificate of Competence ) which is an internationally recognized qualification.
During the first week of – RYA Competent Crew practical, you will learn how to steer, handle sails, tie knots, keep a lookout at sea, and row a dinghy. You will learn how to react in emergencies and how to participate in the day-to-day duties of the yacht as a confident crew member. You will have the chance to experience some night sailing and to assist on a longer passage. By the end of the course, you will be familiar with the yacht her sails, and her equipment.
During the second week – RYA Day Skipper practical focus changes mostly to navigation, chart work, and sail
|What is included
|Pre-Course Experience &
|10 days training + 3 extra days on board
|Minimum Recommended Age
|Students – Instructor Ratio
|After the Course Experience
( upon succesful completion )
|Price for individuals *
Plus 900 € for single cabin use
|Price for private tuition **
INDIVIDUALS Join our tuition yacht together with other students and learn how to sail in the Ionian combining training with holidays. You will share the yacht with a maximum another 4 students plus the instructor. Provisions for breakfast and lunch as well as all the expenses of the yacht are included in the price. Accommodation may be shared and saloon berths may be used.
PRIVATE TUITION For small groups of friends and families who want to learn how to sail together the option of a private tuition is ideal as you won’t share the yacht with someone else except your instructor. Charter a coded vessel from our fleet consider a cabin for your instructor and combine training with holidays. (fuel, provisions, the cost of the instructor’s meals, and mooring fees are not included in the price)
Training by certified & experienced RYA instructors
RYA Competent Crew / RYA Day Skipper handbook
Provisions for breakfast, snacks and lunch on board
Fuel, gas, water
Bed linen & towels
Available course material
- WiFi unlimited internet (speed depending on mobile signal quality)
What’s not included
Cost of drinks & meals ashore
Cost of transfers and flights to / from our base
VHF license fee payable to the RYA (GBP 70)
- Ideal for those who want to become skippers in two weeks
- Improve skills, gain experience, expand knowledge
- Day Skipper certificate holders can apply for an ICC
- Students – instructor ratio 5:1
- Minimum of 200 N.M
- Minimum of 6 Ionian destinations
- 8 hours night sail
- Crystal clear water anchorages
- Local cuisine & culture
- Combine training with holidays
- You will need to bring a passport sized photo